Top Image -The Redcliffe Shot Tower - Bristol
Lower Image - The 'NEW' Shot tower
The Redcliffe Shot Tower was a historic shot tower in the English city of Bristol. It was the progenitor of many similar towers built around the world. The tower stood at the corner of Redcliffe Hill and Redcliffe Parade, in the suburb of Redcliffe, between the years of 1782 and 1968 when it was demolished.
In 1775, William Watts, a plumber, started converting his house, near St Mary Redcliffe Church, into the world's first shot tower, in order to make lead shot by his innovative tower process. He did this by adding a tower atop his house, and by excavating a shaft into the soft sandstone below, achieving a total drop of around 90 feet (27 m). By 1782, the tower was complete and in production, and Watts was granted a patent on his process, which involved pouring molten lead through a perforated zinc pan into water below thus producing round shot pellets....
The lower image shows the "NEW" shot tower on Bristol's Cheese Lane. Its no longer in use for lead shot production, and is listed Grade II as "Sheldon Bush and Patent Shot Company Limited".
The "NEW" tower was designed as a replacement by E.N. Underwood and Partners, a firm of structural engineers, for the Sheldon Bush and Patent Shot Company Limited. It was constructed on a site already in use for other purposes by that company, and is some 500 yards (460 m) from the site of its predecessor. The structure is of reinforced concrete, with a twelve sided crucible room at the top, giving it an outline reminiscent of a cotton bud. It is the last such tower to be built, one of the few to be built in the 20th century, and one of only three to survive in England. It received the Civic Design Award from the Bristol Civic Society for the year it was completed in 1969.
The tower is 142 feet (43 m) tall, giving a drop distance for the lead shot from the crucible room of 120 feet (37 m). The crucible room has a diameter of 24 feet (7.3 m) and originally housed a gas fired cast iron cauldron, for melting the lead ingots. A lift provided access to the crucible room for both personnel and ingots, along with an emergency staircase. The lead shot fell into a tank of cooling water at the foot of the tower, and were transferred by a conveyor belt to hoppers in the roof of the processing building.












