The impressive Second Empire-style Godfrey Block stood downtown on the west side of Woodward Avenue between State Street and Grand River Avenue. The building was designed by Mortimer L Smith, and completed in 1871. In December of that year, several stores in the Godfrey Block sought to drum up holiday business with newspaper advertisements that described the building as “Santa Claus’ headquarters.”













