Mosteiro de St. Maria de Flor da Rosa | Monastery of St. Mary of Flower of the Rose (Portalegre, Portugal)
Considered the most important example of a fortified monastery on the Iberian Peninsula, it's origin is told by a legend of a knight who, finding himself at death's door, receives a visit from his love who offers him a rose to help him recover. It's said that, by virtue of this offering, it is the lady who dies and the knight could do nothing more than name this monastery in honor of her…
Well, altogether it is a very touching story, history tell us that the monastery was built in 1356 by order of D. Álvaro Gonçalves Pereira, Grand Master of the Sovereign Military Hospitaller Order of Saint John of Jerusalem, who decided to transfer the Portuguese headquarters of the order to that location. He's also known for being the father of Saint Constable, D. Nuno Álvares Pereira, whom, according to the myths, was born in the monastery.
From the 16th century onwards, the Order was renamed to the Order of Malta or Knights of Malta, a name that still retains today. The building would eventually suffer from subsequent renovations, but the greatest consequences of the impoverishment of this remarkable national monument occurred with its abandonment after the decree that extinguished religious orders in Portugal, in 1834. In general, this monastery is composed of three different buildings: the Gothic-style fortress-church, a Gothic castellated palace, with 15th century alterations, and the remaining Renaissance and Mudejar conventual dependencies.