The Christ of Jean De Bologne
The original sculpture of The Christ of Jean De Bologne was given to the town of La Ciotat by Pope Clément VII in 1810.
It was later mounted on an iron cross inspired by Gustave Eiffel in the 1920's on the Hill of La Ciotat, both the sculpture and the cross were unfortunately thrown into the sea by a shell fire of the German Army towards the end of World War II.
The Sculpture was found buried in the sand by a diver, broken in two and without its right arm. It was subsequently restored and cast entirely in bronze by the Foundry Airaindor Valsuani. The right arm no longer existing the sculptor Benatov recomposed one and thus became the co-author of this work of Art with Jean De Bologne.
The Christ now restored to its original glory can be seen at the Church of La Ciotat now a place of pilgrimage.











